Pall Mall pioneer: Haslemere bags unique deal

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More… on Pall Mall pioneer: Haslemere bags unique deal

Law firm keeps presence in City

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More… on Law firm keeps presence in City

UK firms take stock in wake of tragedy

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More… on UK firms take stock in wake of tragedy

Talk of the towns: Yorkshire, north/north-east Lincs

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More… on Talk of the towns: Yorkshire, north/north-east Lincs

Look who’s new at the auctions

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More… on Look who’s new at the auctions

Man infected with coronavirus in Germany after Italy trip: State ministry

first_img“People in close contact with the patient will be kept in home isolation and be asked about their state of health every day,” it said. “As soon as a contact person develops symptoms, they will also be isolated in hospital.”The new confirmed case takes to 17 the total number of coronavirus cases in Germany. There have been no deaths.Separately, newspaper Rheinische Post reported that a married couple in the western state of North Rhine-Westphalia had been admitted to hospital in Duesseldorf on suspicion of suffering from the virus. The paper, which did not cite a source, said at least one of them had tested positive.Car supplier Webasto said last month a Chinese employee had tested positive for the virus upon returning to China following a visit to the company headquarters near Munich. The employee apparently infected several German colleagues during the visit.The new coronavirus, believed to have originated from illegal wildlife sold in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, has infected some 80,000 people and killed more than 2,600 people, most of them in China.Neighboring Switzerland confirmed its first case of the coronavirus earlier on Tuesday. Austria also confirmed its first two cases on Tuesday.  Topics : A 25-year-old man living in the southern German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday after a trip to Milan, the state’s Health Ministry said.In a statement, the ministry said the man, who had likely become infected during the visit to Italy, had contacted authorities after coming down with flu-like symptoms.He would be taken later on Tuesday to a hospital, where he would be treated in isolation, the ministry said.last_img read more

Read More… on Man infected with coronavirus in Germany after Italy trip: State ministry

Police ban May Day rallies against omnibus bill on job creation

first_imgYusri said police officers would forcefully disperse protesters if they insisted on going ahead with the rallies.”Yes, we will disperse them. We have informed them [about the policy], I hope they understand,” he said as quoted by kompas.com.Read also: Desperate workers to hold mass rallies against job creation bill despite pandemicPreviously, two large labor groups, the Confederation of Indonesian Trade Unions (KSPI) and the Indonesian Labor Workers Assembly (MPBI) had announced their plan to hold massive protests in front of the House and the Office of the Coordinating Economic Minister on April 30, the day before May Day, which falls on May 1. KSPI head Said Iqbal said workers would comply with the physical-distancing policy during the rallies. They would also wear masks and bring hand sanitizers.”We will demand three things during the rallies: to reject the omnibus bill, to stop job layoffs and to give full compensation and Idul Fitri holiday bonuses [THR] for workers who are staying at home,” Said Iqbal said.He went on to say that the notification letters about the May Day rallies were sent to the Jakarta Police and the National Police headquarters on April 17, but the letters were rejected.Said Iqbal said the labor unions would cancel their plan to stage the mass rallies only if the House ceased the deliberation of the omnibus bill on job creation during the COVID-19 pandemic.Workers, activists and members of the public have criticized the House and government for trying to push through the controversial bill.The bill, which seeks to concurrently amend 79 laws including the 2003 Manpower Law, has been vehemently opposed by labor unions, which have condemned the bill for cutting labor rights and benefiting employers.The deliberation of the disputed omnibus bill on job creation has met further resistance as the country faces massive layoffs as a result of the economic slowdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic.Jakarta, the province hardest-hit by coronavirus, has recorded 3,097 people infected, making up nearly half of the country’s official tally of 6,760 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Monday. At least 590 people in the country have died from the disease, of which 287 were reported in the capital. (nal) The Jakarta Police have announced they will ban all rallies commemorating May Day after workers in the capital city said they planned to hold protests on April 30, in spite of the coronavirus pandemic, against the omnibus bill on job creation being deliberated in the House of Representatives.Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. com. Yusri Yunus said such rallies would violate the large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) policy implemented by the Jakarta administration to clamp down on the transmission of COVID-19.”The PSBB has regulated physical distancing and the National Police chief’s edict has clearly banned mass gatherings. So, we will not issue any permit for the protest,” Yusri said on Monday.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Read More… on Police ban May Day rallies against omnibus bill on job creation

Shipping industry weathers pandemic, oil price storm

first_imgBecause of the suffering oil and gas sector, shipping companies have seen early terminations of contracts with oil and gas businesses.The ongoing health crisis has also impacted shipowners’ expenses. They have had to deal with higher insurance prices and more expensive spare parts, among other things, as the rupiah remains weak against the United States dollar, according to the association.“We’ll see how it is a month from now,” Carmelita said.Statistics Indonesia (BPS) reported that the transportation and warehouse sector grew by 1.27 percent yoy in the first quarter of 2020. This was a significantly slower pace than the 5.45 percent annual growth in the first quarter of 2019.In April, cargo ships took a hit in terms of volume, which was down by almost 2 percent year-on-year to 24.91 million tons, according to data from Statistics Indonesia.Meanwhile, logistics firms have started to switch to sea transport amid the decline in the air cargo operation under PSBB.While the country transitions to the “new normal”, Transportation Ministerial Regulation No. 41/2020 will allow ships to deliver medical equipment and staple goods to help with the COVID-19 response.Logistics firm PT Kamadjaja Logistics, which offers freight forwarding and warehouse services, used sea freight to deliver its cargo in late March because government restrictions on air travel had hampered air shipping.“We are switching to sea freight, and we’re using roro [roll-on/roll-off ships]. In any kind of transportation, we try to reach the customers, the end users,” Ivy Kamadjaja, the company’s deputy chief executive officer, said on Tuesday.Topics : The country’s sea freight industry has continued to see depressed demand as a result of the pandemic and a global oil price slump, the Indonesian National Shipowners Association (INSA) has said.INSA chairperson Carmelita Hartoto said that although the government’s relaxation of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) had resulted in an uptick in passenger sea transport, the cargo shipping sector had continued to suffer.“In other [sea transportation services], there have not been any significant changes, since production, or industrial output, has not fully recovered,” Carmelita told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday. COVID-19 restrictions, which are now being phased out in some places, have caused logistical disruptions along the supply chain by limiting mobility in an effort to contain the spread of the coronavirus, which has infected more than 40,000 people nationwide.The INSA reported in early May that container ship revenue had fallen by 10 to 25 percent from normal levels. Likewise, the revenue of bulk carriers – tankers, tugs and barges – dropped by 25 to 50 percent.The pandemic has affected the major users of maritime shipping, including oil and gas companies, which are suffering from record-low oil prices following a demand slump during the pandemic.In May, exports plunged 28.95 percent year-on-year (yoy) to US$10.53 billion, the lowest since July 2016, as a result of falling oil and gas exports, among other commodities, according to BPS data. last_img read more

Read More… on Shipping industry weathers pandemic, oil price storm

Jokowi honors fallen medical workers ahead of Independence Day

first_imgPresident Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has awarded posthumous honors to 22 medical workers who lost their lives in the fight against COVID-19, among the dozens of awardees recognized for their distinguished service to the country ahead of Independence Day.Jokowi presented the awards to family members of the deceased doctors and nurses, in a ceremony held in the State Palace in Central Jakarta on Thursday. “These awards are given to those that have performed distinguished service for the nation. The selection of awardees has been carried out through careful consideration,” Jokowi said after the ceremony.Nine medical workers were honored with the Bintang Jasa Pratama, the second rank of the Bintang Jasa honor, namely physicians Djoko Judodjoko, Bambang Sutrisna, Exsenveny Lalopua, Bartholomeus Bayu Satrio Kukuh Wibowo, Heru Sutantyo and Wahyu Hidayat, and nurses Setia Aribowo, Mursyida and Elok Widyaningsih.The President also awarded the Bintang Jasa Nararya, the third class of the Bintang Jasa, to 13 medical workers, namely physicians Hadio Ali Khazatsin and Adi Mirsa Putra; dentists Umi Susana Widjaja, Gunawan Oentaryo, Anna Herlina Ratnasari, Amutavia Pancarsari Artsianti Putri and Yuniarto Budi Santosa; and nurses Ninuk Dwi Pusponingsih, Sugiarto, Mulatsih Widji Astuti, Adharul Anam, Nuria Kurniasih and Nur Putri Julianty.Presidential spokesperson Fadjroel Rachman said the medals were also awarded as symbols of the state’s respect and bereavement. Read also: COVID-19 crisis opportunity for education reform in Indonesia”This is a symbol of our deep sorrow and the highest respect for the frontline medical personnel who handle COVID-19 patients,” he said.The 22 deceased medical workers were among 53 recipients of honors awarded annually as part of Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrations.In the ceremony, Jokowi also awarded medals of merit to 31 other figures including former president Megawati Soekarnoputri who was given the Medali Kepeloporan (pioneering medal) and former chairman of the Election Organizers Honorary Board Jimly Ashiddiqie who received the Bintang Penegak Demokrasi Utama.The President also awarded the Bintang Jasa Utama, the first class of the Bintang Jasa to six recipients, among whom were political figures, namely former House of Representatives speaker Bambang Soesatyo of the Golkar Party, People’s Consultative Assembly (MPR) deputy speakers Ahmad Basarah of the ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) and Ahmad Muzani of Gerindra Party and former House deputy speaker Utut Adianto of the PDI-P.He also awarded the Bintang Mahaputera Nararya, one of the country’s highest civilian honors to seven people, including former MPR deputy speakers Mahyudin and Farouk Muhammad Saleh, former House deputy speakers Fadli Zon of the Gerindra Party and Fahri Hamzah of the Gelora Party as well as former chief of the National Counterterrorism Agency Suhardi Alius.Topics :last_img read more

Read More… on Jokowi honors fallen medical workers ahead of Independence Day

Belarus says hundreds arrested as opposition figure ‘kidnapped’

first_imgEU sanctions ‘very soon’ He said the EU hoped to impose sanctions “very soon” after drawing up a list of individuals responsible for police violence against protesters and rigged elections.The disputed election has sparked demonstrations that have seen tens of thousands take the streets of the ex-Soviet country of 9.5 million on Russia’s western borders, in an unprecedented challenge to Lukashenko’s 26 years in power.An AFP journalist said the crowd of demonstrators waving the opposition’s red-and-white flag on Sunday appeared to be as large or larger than on the previous three Sundays, when more than 100,000 people rallied in the streets of Minsk.But police also appeared to be stepping up a campaign to quash the demonstrations, deploying troops, water cannon and armored vehicles.Local media reported hooded men in civilian clothes with batons chased and beat demonstrators.Interior Ministry spokeswoman Olga Chemodanova said that 633 people had been detained on Sunday for illegal mass gatherings, one of the largest wave of arrests since the early days of the demonstrations.Kolesnikova’s office said witnesses described her being snatched off the street in the capital Minsk on Monday morning by unidentified men in black who bundled her into a minibus marked “Communications”.”More than 8 hours have passed and we still don’t know where Maria is and what is happening to her,” said lawyer Maxim Znak, a member of the Coordination Council, in a video blog on Monday evening. Belarus said on Monday that police had detained more than 600 people at weekend protests and the opposition said a senior figure had been snatched off the streets, as authorities intensified efforts to end weeks of demonstrations.The opposition’s Coordination Council said one of its high-profile members Maria Kolesnikova had been “kidnapped by unknown people in central Minsk” along with a spokesman and executive secretary.”Their whereabouts are unknown,” it said, accusing President Alexander Lukashenko’s regime of “openly using methods of terror”. A spokesman for the European Commission, Peter Stano, said the EU’s executive branch was trying to establish what happened and condemned the Belarusian authorities’ actions as “unacceptable”. Trio of women campaigners The Coordination Council said its press secretary Anton Rodnenkov and executive secretary Ivan Kravtsov had also disappeared, while police said they had no information on detentions.Znak said Kravtsov and Rodnenkov went missing after heading to Kolesnikova’s flat in search of her. He added that Kravtsov’s flat had been searched by a state agency that probes financial violations.Belarusian authorities had already detained several members of the Coordination Council and others have left the country under official pressure. One, Olga Kovalkova, said on Saturday she was in Poland after security services threatened her and took her to the border.Kolesnikova and other members including Nobel Literature Prize winner Svetlana Alexievich have faced questioning in a probe over an alleged bid to seize power.Kolesnikova, 38, is the only one of the trio of women who fronted Tikhanovskaya’s campaign to remain in Belarus.Tikhanovskaya has taken shelter in neighboring Lithuania and her other campaign partner, Veronika Tsepkalo, is now in Ukraine.Kolesnikova, a trained flautist and music teacher, entered politics to run the campaign of another opposition politician, ex-banker Viktor Babaryko, who attempted to stand for president against Lukashenko but was jailed and barred from running. center_img Topics : Lukashenko’s main rival Svetlana Tikhanovskaya said the abductions were an attempt to disrupt the work of the Coordination Council. It was set up to ensure a peaceful transfer of power after opposition candidate Tikhanovskaya rejected Lukashenko’s claim to have won an August 9 presidential election with 80 percent of the vote.”The more they try to scare us, the more people will take to the streets,” Tikhanovskaya said in a statement.The Coordination Council demanded the detainees’ immediate release and the free return of other activists who have left the country under official pressure.last_img read more

Read More… on Belarus says hundreds arrested as opposition figure ‘kidnapped’