Future of B.C. Treaty Commission remains uncertain

first_img“The status quo is not working and I think almost all First Nations would agree with that,” says Premier Clark. “It’s not working as well as anyone would like.”That noted the Premier has apologized for what she calls the terrible government communications involved in the sudden decision to cancel the planned appointment of highly regarded former cabinet minister and Liberal leadership candidate George Abbott as head of the B.C. Treaty Commission.“The communication with George was terrible; it was an example of really, really poor communication,” Premier Clark goes on to say. “I take responsibility, particularly with respect to George, because he’s been a good friend to the people of British Columbia and the Government of British Columbia for a long, long time.”- Advertisement -Premier Clark adds, “But you know, as I said, we made a principled policy decision to pursue a different path when it comes to treaties.”Mr. Abbott has conceded he was shocked last week at being nixed as the new Commissioner literally hours before officially being named to take over the post on April 1, 2015.The out-going Commissioner was also less than pleased; noting the Chiefs at the First Nations Summit had supported Mr. Abbott’s appointment by resolution.Advertisement Now, Sophie Pierre says the government retraction raises questions about its commitment to the treaty negotiations process.However, the Premier says the government doesn’t want to fill the post while it looks at a different direction for a commission, which has produced just four treaties in 22 years at a cost of $600 million.“Whether the future will include a treaty commission or not, I don’t know the answer to that, because we committed very sincerely to working with First Nations in figuring out what that looks like together rather than doing in unilaterally.”last_img