SU self-imposes 1-year postseason ban for 2014-2015 men’s basketball season

first_imgUpdated: Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:36 p.m.Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud announced Wednesday the university has self-imposed a one-year postseason ban for the men’s basketball 2014–15 season as part of its case pending before the NCAA Committee on Infractions.The ban includes the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament and any additional postseason tournaments, including the NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Tournament and the National Invitational Tournament. Syverud said the decision was made in consultation with the Board of Trustees Athletics Committee and with the support of Director of Athletics Daryl Gross and men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim.The university initiated the case when it self-reported potential violations within the Athletics Department to the NCAA in 2007, according to an SU News release. None of the conduct occurred after 2012 and no current student-athlete is involved, according to the release.“I am disappointed for our current men’s basketball players who must shoulder this post-season ban as a result of things that occurred years ago,” Syverud said in the release. “We have taken responsibility for past violations and worked hard to ensure they are not repeated.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyverud said SU has taken the matter seriously and worked with the NCAA for nearly eight years to investigate and address potential rules violations. He added that the voluntary sanctions are “consistent with those imposed on other NCAA schools in similar cases.”“I am very disappointed that our basketball team will miss the opportunity to play in the postseason this year,” Boeheim said in the release.“We are all tremendously disappointed that we are going to miss out on playing in the postseason based on issues that do not involve us,” said SU men’s basketball captains Rakeem Christmas, Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije in a statement. “However, we support our school and this won’t change how hard we will continue to work in practice and in games.”Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, said SU had previously notified the NCAA of the self-imposed ban. SU completed a two-day hearing before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in October 2014. SU head football coach Scott Shafer attended the hearing, as well as Boeheim. It remains unclear what violations the football program may have committed.Emily James, associate director of public and media relations for the NCAA, said in an email that the organization is unable to comment on pending, ongoing or potential investigations.SU student athletes were sent an email at 5:05 p.m., about 10 minutes before Syverud made the announcement, on behalf of Gross informing them of the self-imposed ban.ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a statement the conference is “fully supportive of Syracuse and its decision to self-impose sanctions by removing themselves from any men’s basketball postseason opportunities.”“They’ve been cooperative throughout the NCAA process, and I commend Chancellor Syverud and the Syracuse University leadership for taking this proactive step,” Swofford said. Published on February 4, 2015 at 5:37 pm Contact Justin: [email protected] | @jmattingly306 Following the announcement, students had mixed reactions to the decision to self-impose the ban.The Syracuse men’s basketball team is currently 15-7 with a 6-3 record in ACC play. The last time SU missed the postseason entirely was the 1992–93 season, when the team was being sanctioned by the NCAA. SU was allowed to play in the Big East tournament that year.The 1992–93 NCAA sanctions included: 2-year probation; no basketball postseason play for a year; loss of one scholarship for two years; restrictions in off-campus recruiting and on-campus visits by recruits; cuts in scholarships for three sports; and disassociation of boosters.Syverud said in the release that not participating in postseason play will be “disappointing” for Orange supporters.“Every Division I program faces challenges and while this is a tough decision for the university and its students, faculty, staff and fans, it helps to close this particular chapter and allows us to focus on the future,” said Faculty Athletics Representative and Falk Distinguished Professor of Sport Management Rick Burton in the release. He directed all further questions to Quinn.“We have taken responsibility for past violations and worked hard to ensure they are not repeated,” Syverud said in the release. Commentscenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img