Hontiveros slams Chinese-run sex dens in POGO industry

first_img“Minsanpupunta kami sa condo, minsan sahotel tapos pagkatapos namin magmasahe,mag-ooffer kami ng extra service na ibigsabihin makikipagtalik kami,” said Carina. Hontiveros, who chairs the Senate Committee on Women, Children, FamilyRelations and Gender Equality, presented at a livestreamed Senate probe thefindings of her investigation on the rescues of sexual trafficking victimsin Metro Manila. Carina also said she has a co-worker,14-year-old Shaina, who is still being pimped by the massage parlor ownerdespite being sick forcing the latter to runaway from the parlor. “We need to suspend the Visa Upon Arrivalscheme for Chinese nationals,” Hontiveros said. “Security threat na kasi ito sa atin: To our women and toour girls. Pati ‘yung mga sarili natingkababaihan at kabataan, nabibiktima na.” Hontiveros is studying the suspension ofall POGO operations in the country, while reviewing the economic implicationsas well as ensuring that there are safety nets in place to protect our womenand children. “Pinagamotnaman po si Shaina pero tumakas na posiya kasi hindi na po kaya,” Carina said. “Kasi kahit po may sakit, nilalakad pa din po sa mga customer.” “Maymenu of services, parang restaurant,” said Hontiveros. “‘Yung mga babae, parang inoorderlang sa app ng mga Chinese members ngchatgroup. Parang Grabfood, may menu, may presyo, then darating na lang sa hotel o condo mo.” Hontiveros added that some offer Chinesewomen for P10,000 per hour and Russian or Korean women overnight for P32,000and P45,000, respectively, as revealed in the conversations in chat groups. She added that the customers, usuallyChinese, Japanese, Korean and Indian nationals, pay the girls between P3,000and P7,000, half of which will be given to the massage parlor owner. The senator also urged the NationalBureau of Investigation and the Philippine National Police to conduct animmediate crackdown on POGO-related prostitution dens across the Philippines. “Hindipwedeng nagiging pugad tayo ng Chinese prostitution dens,” she added. “Pag nakikita ko sa TV ang mga babaeng nahuhuli sa raid na punong puno ng hiya at takot, isa langang tumatakbo sa isip ko: thisgirl is someone’s daughter. And we have failed her.” One of these victims shared heraffidavit at the probe under the alias Carina and via a video call fromelsewhere MANILA – Filipino girls, as well as traffickedChinese women, are being pimped like a food menu in prostitution densoften disguised as massage or spa facilities, Sen. Risa Hontiverosrevealed Tuesday. Sen. Risa Hontiveros In light of these revelations,Hontiveros called for the Bureau of Immigration to suspend its Visa UponArrival program for Chinese nationals, a scheme that has readily assisted therise of Chinese criminals in the country. Carina told the senators that a friendrecruited her to work as a masseuse in the massage parlor owned by a Chineseman and his Filipina wife before she was pimped to Chinese workers later on. Hontiveros said that there was a menu ofsex services catering to Chinese expatriates, who work mostly in offshoregaming operations, called POGOs by local authorities. She even claimed that some of the girlsare pimped on the Chinese super app WeChat using codes such as “new tea” forgirls and “fast food” for quickie sex. “Kailanganna nating umaksyon. We need to look into suspending POGO operations becausethey attract criminals into our country,” Hontiveros said./PNlast_img read more

Read more on Hontiveros slams Chinese-run sex dens in POGO industry

USC football players return from Haiti

first_imgSixteen USC football players returned last week from a trip to Haiti to build four houses for victims who were devastated by the effects of the 2010 earthquake.Team building · Josh Shaw, a defensive back for the football team, works on building a home in Haiti. Sixteen players from the team traveled to Haiti last week to build four homes for victims of the 2010 quake. – Photo Courtesy of USC Sports Information Les Barkley, quarterback Matt Barkley’s father, organized the trip and had been to Haiti several times before. As a volunteer at Hope Force International, a non-profit Christian-based organization that specializes in quick-strike disaster relief, Les Barkley first went to Haiti in 2010 when he led a team of doctors, medics and trauma nurses down to offer relief.The Barkley family has a tradition of taking mission trips. But with Matt Barkley’s tight schedule, between summer school and football training, they found only a one-week window.Les Barkley suggested going to Haiti, which still faces the effects of the earthquake.Matt loved the idea, but had a question for his dad.“‘Would it be OK if a couple of teammates came with us?’” Les Barkley said his son asked.The roster for the trip included captains and senior leaders safety T.J. McDonald, Matt Barkley, center Khaled Holmes, defensive end Devon Kennard and junior punter Kyle Negrete.In Haiti, the team worked to build four homes for families in need, participate in food distribution in outlying communities and transport and distribute supplies and necessities to local schools and orphanages.Cyrus Hobbi, an offensive lineman, said that he gained a new perspective through his experience in Haiti.“It was really just a humbling experience,” Hobbi said. “It was weird coming back [to the] A.C. and a nice comfy bed to sleep in.”Les Barkley credits the Trojan Family with helping the team raise money for the team to take the trip.“Virtually all of the funds came through the Trojan Family,” Les Barkley said.Les Barkley said to the USC Athletics website helped generate word of mouth for the cause.“When Trojan alumni heard what their team was doing, I got calls saying ‘Hey can I help? How can I support this effort?’” Les Barkley said.Kennard said the trip helped develop stronger relationships between the players.“We grew together because we had to go out there and work,” Kennard said. “Doing it as a team, made it all the better.”last_img read more

Read more on USC football players return from Haiti