Dutch geophysical services provider Fugro has completed several deepwater geophysical surveys in the Gulf of Mexico for Shell.Fugro Brasilis; Source: FugroThe company said on Thursday that the project required data collection over multiple deepwater lease blocks in the greater Perdido and Mars development areas to support clearance of potential environmental, engineering, geological and archaeological hazards ahead of planned drilling activities.Fugro deployed a Hugin autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) from its purpose-built survey vessel, the Fugro Brasilis.The Hugin AUV is depth-rated to 3000 m and equipped with multibeam echosounder, side scan sonar and sub-bottom profiling sensors. As such, Fugro was able to acquire critical seabed information over the project area safely and efficiently, despite the challenging water depths, the company explained.Fugro also used a mix of onboard and in-house processing resources to meet an accelerated interpretation and reporting schedule.Shell Project Manager, Deanne Hargrave, said: “Shell’s 2019 AUV survey campaign onboard the Fugro Brasilis is another example of collaboration between Fugro and Shell to bring innovative technology and techniques to site investigations in ways that reduce HSSE exposure and survey duration, while simultaneously providing superior data quality and ancillary datasets.”Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.
Sixteen USC football players returned last week from a trip to Haiti to build four houses for victims who were devastated by the effects of the 2010 earthquake.Team building · Josh Shaw, a defensive back for the football team, works on building a home in Haiti. Sixteen players from the team traveled to Haiti last week to build four homes for victims of the 2010 quake. – Photo Courtesy of USC Sports Information Les Barkley, quarterback Matt Barkley’s father, organized the trip and had been to Haiti several times before. As a volunteer at Hope Force International, a non-profit Christian-based organization that specializes in quick-strike disaster relief, Les Barkley first went to Haiti in 2010 when he led a team of doctors, medics and trauma nurses down to offer relief.The Barkley family has a tradition of taking mission trips. But with Matt Barkley’s tight schedule, between summer school and football training, they found only a one-week window.Les Barkley suggested going to Haiti, which still faces the effects of the earthquake.Matt loved the idea, but had a question for his dad.“‘Would it be OK if a couple of teammates came with us?’” Les Barkley said his son asked.The roster for the trip included captains and senior leaders safety T.J. McDonald, Matt Barkley, center Khaled Holmes, defensive end Devon Kennard and junior punter Kyle Negrete.In Haiti, the team worked to build four homes for families in need, participate in food distribution in outlying communities and transport and distribute supplies and necessities to local schools and orphanages.Cyrus Hobbi, an offensive lineman, said that he gained a new perspective through his experience in Haiti.“It was really just a humbling experience,” Hobbi said. “It was weird coming back [to the] A.C. and a nice comfy bed to sleep in.”Les Barkley credits the Trojan Family with helping the team raise money for the team to take the trip.“Virtually all of the funds came through the Trojan Family,” Les Barkley said.Les Barkley said to the USC Athletics website helped generate word of mouth for the cause.“When Trojan alumni heard what their team was doing, I got calls saying ‘Hey can I help? How can I support this effort?’” Les Barkley said.Kennard said the trip helped develop stronger relationships between the players.“We grew together because we had to go out there and work,” Kennard said. “Doing it as a team, made it all the better.”
Last Updated: 12th October, 2019 21:17 IST Eritrean Soccer Players Who Defected Say They Live In Fear Soccer gave Mewal Tesfai Yosief hope in an Orwellian nation, job in a country of forced military conscription and, possibly, freedom, who live in constant fear Eritrea’s government most tightly controlled regimes in the worldEritrea’s government under President Isaias Afwerki is one of the most tightly controlled regimes in the world, ranked with North Korea and Syria by Freedom House. Opposition parties in the East African nation are prohibited, and human rights monitors say an independent judiciary is nonexistent. Eritrea’s system of indefinite national service and forced military conscription are meant to control the population, according to Human Rights Watch. Questions sent to Eritrea’s soccer association and the government brought no response.READ: Turkish Forces Capture Center Of Key Syrian Border TownThe four young Eritreans described their life as part-time soccer players and part-time military conscripts, where they were required to build roads, guard buildings and follow the army’s whims. Though they had special status as soccer players they were still arrested for basic activities like walking in the street in a group.“If you are more than two people hanging out there is always the suspicion that you are organizing something,” said one player, Hermon Fessehaye Yohannes. Everyone is required to have “permission papers” from the government that allows them to travel in the streets, the players said.Hermon recalled being stopped one night while walking from his work to his home, a distance of roughly 100 meters. His permission papers were at home and a policeman stopped him and refused to listen to his pleas. “He started beating us up with a stick,” Hermon said, asserting that he was then briefly taken to jail. “This is our daily normal life, this is how we live.”It was impossible to independently confirm the incident.READ: Germany: Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer Of CDU Deals With A SetbackLove for soccer transformed into financial supportEritrean athletes, especially soccer players, have been known to defect while traveling abroad. In 2012, 17 soccer players defected while in Uganda. Some players reportedly have been forced to pay a bond worth nearly $7,000 to ensure their return. The newly defected players said their interest in soccer was sparked by the professional team Manchester United. While playing in the streets of the capital, Asmara, they heard that the team was the best in the world.“They were our first inspiration,” Mewal said.The players said their love of soccer transformed into a way to support their families and eventually escape the country.“I knew since I was a child the only way to get out of Eritrea was to be a footballer,” said Simon Asmelash Mekonen. The players said their escape plan began when they landed in Uganda. “The previous days whenever we tried there were a lot of people guarding over us, watching us, it was just impossible,” Mewal said. But after defeating Zanzibar and scoring five goals, the team was in a celebratory mood. The players asked permission to go for a walk, then called the only person they knew in Uganda and defected.READ: Putin Calls On ‘illegitimately’ Deployed Forces In Syria To LeaveThe players are scared to death, seeks refugeBut now they fear that Eritrean authorities are searching for them as they wait for word on their asylum claims with the Ugandan government. “We don’t know what will happen to us next,” Hanibal Girmay Tekle said. “We cannot go outside.” The lawyer representing them, Kimberley Motley, said in a letter to the United Nations requesting support that “my clients believe that they will be repatriated back to Eritrea by the authorities and therefore respectfully request to be resettled to another country.” The letter describes how the players were forced into military service at the age of 17.A spokeswoman for the U.N. refugee agency in Uganda, Duniya Aslam Khan, said Uganda’s government is responsible for granting asylum and that she could not share information regarding the players’ claims. A spokesman for the office of Uganda’s prime minister, Julius Mucunguzi, said he wasn’t aware of the asylum claim but said the Eritreans might not have included the detail that they are soccer players. “Our doors are open to anyone from anywhere who is seeking safety and security and is fleeing from danger,” he said. “The doors of Uganda are open to get the safety they need.” Mewal said he just wants to go “somewhere safe.”READ: Kenya Celebrates As Eliud Kipchoge Completes Marathon In Under 2 Hour LIVE TV 10 months ago Want to make franchise out of ‘Tumbbad’, says Sohum Shah WE RECOMMEND SUBSCRIBE TO US “The only way for you to survive is by getting out (of Eritrea) and we all know this,” Mewal told The Associated Press in a telephone interview this week. “I had to take this opportunity because if I didn’t take this one who knows how long it would have taken me.” Associated Press Television News Soccer gave Mewal Tesfai Yosief hope in an Orwellian nation, a job in a country of forced military conscription and, possibly, freedom at last. After scoring two goals for Eritrea’s national under-20 soccer team during a tournament in Uganda late last month, Mewal defected with three teammates. But after applying for asylum they are in hiding in Uganda, fearful that authorities from home are looking for them. First Published: 12th October, 2019 21:17 IST WATCH US LIVE 10 months ago Bigg Boss: Security upped at Salman Khan’s residence after protests COMMENT 10 months ago Ajay Devgn: Cinema and streaming can happily co-exist Written By FOLLOW US 10 months ago Turkish forces capture center of key Syrian border town 10 months ago Germany: Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer of CDU deals with a setback