Jailed blogger’s wife talks to the BBC

first_img to go further Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives Tenth anniversary of Bahraini blogger’s arrest Organisation News BahrainMiddle East – North Africa Help by sharing this information German spyware company FinFisher searched by public prosecutors October 14, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts Newscenter_img December 20, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Jailed blogger’s wife talks to the BBC Follow the news on Bahrain Jenan Al Oraibi, the wife of Ali Abdulemam, a blogger who has been detained in Bahrain since 4 September (http://en.rsf.org/bahrain-detained-human-rights-activists-02-11-2010,38730.html), has given a moving account of his detention and treatment by the authorities in an interview for the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12000292).The next hearing in the joint trial of Abdulemam and 24 other activists on terrorism charges is scheduled for 23 December. They will be defended by court-appointed lawyers because their own lawyers resigned en masse on 9 December in protest against the court’s refusal to suspend the trial while their torture allegations are investigated (http://en.rsf.org/bahrain-leading-human-rights-activist-08-12-2010,38986.html).Their call for a suspension was based on article 186 of Bahrain’s criminal code, which states that when defendants claim they have been tortured, the trial must be suspended while the allegations are investigated. Reporters Without Borders supports their demand and accuses the Bahraini authorities of violating their country’s law.In her interview for the BBC, Oraibi described her husband as a writer, journalist and blogger. “Ali does not belong to any political party,” she said. “He just writes his opinion. Ali has a free pen. That is exactly his crime. He has a free pen.” His last blog entry before his arrest was to call for support for those who had already been arrested, she said. “The last thing he wrote was for those prisoners, defending them and now he is one of them. ” his wife said. Referring to the detainees as “victims, she said: “They are all good people who have good jobs in this society. They are all innocent.” As regards the torture of the defendants, she said the authorities warned them that “if you speak of any mistreatment, any torture, we will torture you even more.” She added: “But they are really brave, they are heroes, they decided to stand up and say exactly what happened to them.”She was supposed to be able to visit her husband every Wednesday but the frequency and duration of the visits has been reduced. They are not allowed to “talk about politics, what has been happening on the street or in the newspapers (…) even if there is nothing about them in the newspapers because the subject is banned in Bahrain.”Since her husband’s arrest, she has had to look after their three young children alone and feels constantly under threat. During his interrogation sessions, the authorities threatened to have her dismissed. She said she was worried about talking to the BBC, especially as its reporters are constantly followed, “but I will be more worried if I don’t do anything.” BahrainMiddle East – North Africa News News March 17, 2021 Find out more RSF_en June 15, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read more on Jailed blogger’s wife talks to the BBC

Teenager who ‘didn’t know the gun was loaded’ walks free

first_imgFacebook The group congregated in the Garryowen stronghold of the Keane/Collopy gang, fearing that members of the rival McCarthy/Dundon were on the way to attack them, so they armed themselves with an Italian made Lu-Mar 12 gauge shotgun that had both the stock and barrel sawn off.Sergeant Cathal O’Neill told the court that on October 5, 2008, he was on patrol in the area and noticed the group gathered on the Grennhills Road.Stating that the group dispersed on noticing the presence of the gardai, Sgt O’Neill said that they pursued members of the gang and noticed the then 19-year-old Christopher Mulqueen, dropping a “stick-like item” into the hedgerow.Sgt O’Neill said that he followed the accused into a house and apprehended him. Mulqueen was arrested and questioned, and subsequently charged. The pump action shotgun had three cartridges loaded,The shotgun was devoid of its stock and barrel and had the serial numbers erased to prevent its true identity being known.Described as a “low ranking member of the gang”, Mulqueen, now 22, said that he did not know that the gun was loaded and that he was ordered by one of the senior members of the gang, who was alleged to have brought it, to get rid of it after they saw gardai.It was then that “panic set amongst the group,” and “when the music stopped, Mulqueen was left holding the parcel”, the court heard.Mulqueen was said not to be a serious criminal and had in fact, removed himself from the network he was in.His counsel, Andrew Sexton, said that the 21-year-old was soon to be a father and had in fact moved out of the city to distance himself from criminal activity and had not come to the notice of the gardai since.Mulqueen gave evidence for the State in a recent murder trial heard at the Central Criminal Court, and is now living away from the city with his seven-month pregnant partner.The court also heard that his mother was forced to leave her home as she was in fear.It was stated that there was “hope for this person,” and that this hope “did not ordinarily exist”.The court heard that Mulqueen voluntarily went into custody on February 25 last, despite having been released on bail.Judge Carroll Moran said that it was a “grave offence,” and a “serious threat to be found in the possession of a firearm in society”.He added that apart from the seriousness of possessing the weapon, the gun was loaded also, which made the matter more serious.Stating that Sergeant Cathal O’Neill had been “extremely fair to the accused,” and that Mulqueen was not a major player in the gang, Judge Carroll Moran said he could be credited for distancing himself from criminal activity, as well as giving evidence for the State in a criminal murder case recently.A co-accused, who is believed to have been the man that brought the gun to the group, has since absconded, therefore leaving Mulqueen to face the charges.Judge Carroll Moran sentenced Christopher Mulqueen, with a former address at St Munchin’s Court, St Mary’s Park, to three years in prison, but suspended it for a period of three years and bound him to the peace on his own bond of €100 NewsLocal NewsTeenager who ‘didn’t know the gun was loaded’ walks freeBy admin – May 12, 2011 1322 Advertisement Twitter A TEENAGER who had a sawn off shotgun in the Garryowen area, but didn’t know it was loaded, walked free from Limerick Circuit Court with a suspended sentence.The court heard that a gang of youths attached to one of Limerick’s major criminal outfits armed themselves with a loaded semi automatic pump action after they feared they were going to be attacked by a rival gang.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Previous articleSite standstill at Ard Scoil RisNext articleRegeneration turns first sod..at last admin Print Email Linkedin WhatsApplast_img read more

Read more on Teenager who ‘didn’t know the gun was loaded’ walks free

Oxford could face ‘sanctions’ over access inequality, says Education Committee

first_imgThe chair of the UK’s House of Commons Education Committee has claimed that elite universities will face sanctions if they fail to address their “social justice problem”.Speaking at a University Alliance event on degree apprenticeships, Robert Halfon MP said that he wanted to see “elite universities properly being held to account for the numbers of disadvantaged students they admit”.The Education Committee confirmed to Cherwell that the new Office for Students would consider sanctions.The body’s chief executive, Nicola Dandridge MP, said in Parliament last month: “There is a whole range of sanctions that can be applied, from encouragement, engagement, and discussion to fines and more interventionist approaches at the other end.“In the past, the Director of Fair Access could refuse to sign off a plan, in which case the higher fee could not be charged – that was the nuclear option, if you like.“That was actually quite difficult, because it did not allow for a nuanced range of responses. We have many more tools available to us, which will allow for a more nuanced and therefore more effective engagement with universities.”Halfon, the Conservative MP for Harlow, warned of a ‘two-tier’ system within UK universities.“I would like to see the elite universities properly being held to account for the numbers of disadvantaged students they admit – and the support they receive whilst studying.“Perhaps we should regard universities as elite only if they are providing a real ladder of opportunity to the disadvantaged. Maybe universities should only be seen as ‘the best’ when they lead their students to well-paid job destinations and reduce Britain’s skills deficit.“The new Office for Students must lead in this. There must be sanctions from the new regulator for those universities who are failing in this regard.”In March, the Higher Education Standards Agency (Hesa) revealed that Oxford accepted fewer applications from poor neighbourhoods in the 2017-18 academic year than any other mainstream institution.Just 2.8% of the University’s intake were from students who live in areas classified as the most difficult to engage in higher education.Following the report’s publication, Labour MP David Lammy – who accused Oxford and Cambridge of “social apartheid” in October – tweeted: “Shame on them. Oxbridge take £700m a year in taxpayers’ money yet are not tackling entrenched privilege.”Earlier this month, Oxford was ranked as the fourth-most unequal university in Britain in a report by the Higher Education Policy Institute (Hepi).The results came from calculating the ‘Gini coefficient’ for UK universities based on their share of student entrants that came from the five different Participation of Local Areas (Polar) quintiles in 2016.A University spokesperson told Cherwell: “Oxford…is committed to further diversifying its undergraduate intake, and to being honest and transparent about our record on access. We have agreed targets with [the Office for Students] and against these we are showing strong performance – particularly in relation to our recruitment of students from socioeconomically disadvantaged post-codes, as well as schools and colleges with limited progression to Oxford.”last_img read more

Read more on Oxford could face ‘sanctions’ over access inequality, says Education Committee

IXIA develops denester

first_imgPick-and-place denesting technology specialist IXIA Packaging Systems has developed a high-performance denester for the baking industry. It has been designed to automatically pick, fold and place U card or acetate pack bases on to a flighted conveyor, ready for filling and wrapping.U cards or acetates are used to line the base of flow-wrapped packs containing bakery items, such as hot cross buns or bread rolls. The denester has ’Snapdragon’ quick-change tooling, which enables the operator to change card or acetate types and sizes in less than two minutes.The machine can also handle a range of U card styles, including perforated or scored versions. It also ensures highly accurate placement of the folded card between the conveyor flights at speeds of up to 60 packs per minute.The unit can be easily transferred between different lines or moved for cleaning.The pneumatically driven denesters are capable of handling closely stacked plastics, aluminium foil and cardboard trays, cartons, pizza bases, pots and containers in a variety of shapes.www.ixiauk.co.uklast_img read more

Read more on IXIA develops denester