Death threats against two journalists in Barrancabermeja

first_img RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia RSF_en News ColombiaAmericas February 25, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Death threats against two journalists in Barrancabermeja Reports News April 27, 2021 Find out more Diego Waldrón, who edits the Barrancabermeja-based weekly Siete Dias and presents the daily news programme “Noticias en Caliente” on Calor Estéreo, was threatened at his home by the bodyguard of a person linked to the city hall on 14 February, a day after referring on the air to the lack of qualifications of someone named by the mayor to run a municipal company.Just three weeks before, on 26 January, Waldrón was the target of a death threat from the chamber of commerce president’s brother, who tried to attack him with an iron bar after he mentioned alleged embezzlement in the running of the chamber. The assailant returned two days later and waited outside his home until overpowered by police, who then freed him.Garibaldi López, the producer and presenter of two news programmes on Calor Estéreo (“Actualidad en Estéreo” and “Controversia”), received a threatening phone call at his home on 9 February from the paramilitary United Self-Defence Groups of Colombia (AUC). The caller said: “The first was José Emeterio Rivas (a journalist killed on April 2003), the second will be Garibaldi López and the third will be Diego Waldrón.” López presents news programmes that cover all issues, including the AUC. The paramilitaries say he talks too much.Mounting tensionReports of threats against journalists in the Barrancabermeja region have been increasing for several months. Inés Peña, the presenter of the “Cultura por la vida” segment of the news programme “La Mohana” on the Barrancabermeja-based regional channel Enlace 10, was kidnapped and tortured on 28 January by AUC members. She had criticised the paramilitaries’ arrival in the region as well as human rights violations by all the armed groups.Pedro Javier Galvis Murillo of the weekly La Noticia and Yaneth Montoya, a correspondent for the regional daily Vanguardia Liberal, were forced to leave the city in October after receiving death threats. A list of persons for execution, believed to have been compiled by the AUC, had been handed in to the office of the ombudsman. Montoya’s name was on the list.According to the latest report by the Press Freedom Federation (FLIP), issued this month, press reporting about corruption is on of the chief reasons for physical attacks and threats against journalists. The FLIP said that in many cases officials who had been criticised got together with armed groups to silence journalists.Reporters Without Borders has learned that officials in Barrancabermeja who have been criticised by the press have in recent months often mentioned their links with the AUC in an attempt to intimidate journalists. Receive email alerts to go further News Diego Waldrón and Garibaldi López, two presenters with the radio stationCalor Estereo in Barrancabermeja, have received several death threatssince the start of the year. Since the murder of José Emeterio Rivas, apresenter with the same radio station, in April 2003, more and more journalists have been the target of threats and physical attacks. 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies ColombiaAmericas Follow the news on Colombia RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Organisation Help by sharing this information May 13, 2021 Find out more October 21, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read more on Death threats against two journalists in Barrancabermeja

Operation Fannacht underway until Monday night

first_img Google+ Facebook Twitter Pinterest Pinterest Google+ Facebook Operation Fannacht underway until Monday night AudioHomepage BannerNews Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Twittercenter_img WhatsApp Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Previous articleMcGowan says ABP must help council in flood work planningNext articleExpect more positive cases as testing criteria broaden – Holohan News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic By News Highland – April 28, 2020 A major Garda operation to prevent the spread of Covid-19 over the upcoming May Bank Holiday weekend is formally underway.Operation Fanacht, which was first implemented at Easter, will see thousands of checkpoints and patrols carried out by Gardaí through to midnight on Bank Holiday Monday. Commissioner Drew Harris says it will be the biggest ever mobilisation in the history of the force.Brendan O’Connor, Donegal’s Garda Representative Association spokesperson says people have generally been very compliant with the Covid-19 restrictions and regulations……….Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/06oconnorgra.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. WhatsApp Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme last_img read more

Read more on Operation Fannacht underway until Monday night