zoom Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) and stevedoring company Hutchison Ports Australia have agreed to return to the negotiating table following the sacking of 97 wharfies three weeks ago.The MUA and Hutchison have agreed to a six-week negotiation process to be overseen by the Fair Work Commission (FWC), deferring a Federal Court case which was set to begin next week.“The MUA welcomes a mature and normal process of consultation and negotiation with Hutchison – that’s what we have been after all along,” MUA National Secretary Paddy Crumlin said.“It’s pleasing that Hutchison has returned to the negotiating table rather than sacking workers at midnight by text and email and preventing them from clearing out their own lockers. We look forward to the fact that if this new attitude is maintained by the company – because it certainly will be by the MUA – then a solution can be found that both deals with the difficult commercial reality the company is facing and repairs the damage that has been done to the company’s relationship with its workers over the past few weeks.”FWC Deputy President Anna Booth released a statement today, outlining private meetings set down for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week in Sydney.“The parties have met in conciliation before me on a number of occasions, most recently on Thursday 27 August 2015, in an effort to resolve the dispute between them,” Booth said.“They have reached an agreement to adjourn the Federal Court proceedings that relate to this dispute and to put their efforts into resolving this dispute through further conciliation before me. I believe the parties are committed to reaching an agreement that best meets the interests of Hutchisons Ports, its employees, the Maritime Union of Australia and its members.”The Australian Federal Court granted earlier this month a temporary injunction preventing Hutchison from sacking 97 dockworkers at ports in Sydney and Brisbane, and ordering their return to work at least until the full hearing of the dispute which was scheduled for August 31.Meanwhile, Hutchison Ports worker Scott Matthewson yesterday told a local radio station that sacked workers were still not rostered on and had not yet received their belongings out of lockers.
The Navy has bright to the surface a passenger ship which was sunk during World War II at the Trincomalee harbour.The wreck of the ship of Her Majesty’s Naval Service – SS Sagaing which sank at the Trincomalee harbour during World War II, was refloated after 75 years by a team of divers of the Sri Lanka Navy. DCIM111GOPROG0654142. Then a comprehensive salvage plan made by CDO (E) was launched by a team of divers through patching up all damages and strengthening up the deteriorated ship’s structural parts by erecting an artificial ship side in to the sunken wreck for dewatering the ship’s internal volume to recover lost buoyancy. After a series of dedicated endeavors made along a period of five months, on 22nd March the wreck started to ascend to the surface.The Navy said that the project would not have been completed on schedule without the unstinted support extended by Tokyo Cement by way of providing a Crane Barge almost throughout the period with a full time operator. (Colombo Gazette) The 138 m long passenger cum cargo ship launched on 24th December 1924 was hit by Japanese carrier aircraft bombers while anchored at the Trincomalee harbour on 09th April 1942 and subsequently abandoned due to escalating fire onboard. On 24thAugust 1943, the damaged ship had been sunk to be used as a pier for Naval ships. The Sri Lanka Navy resorted to refloat the wreck, which was fully submerged 35 feet under the sea, in order to make sea room for expanding berthing facilities in the harbour. The task of salvaging and removing the ship wreck was assigned to he Eastern Naval Command and it was undertaken by the Eastern Command Diving Unit headed by the Command Diving Officer (E), Captain (CDO) Krishantha Athukorala on 11th September 2017.